Twenty-nine Weeks: Already giving me heart problems

Tuesday, November 12, 2013
First of all, McBaby is doing wonderful and is totally fine, but honestly, I could write a book about this week and the longest chapter would be entitled "Did you know you have a heart murmur?" Friday night I noticed that my chest was starting to hurt in conjunction with me taking deep breaths. I noticed this as Mike and I strolled around Target and also while watching Thor in theaters (although, it may have been Chris Hemsworth taking my breath away there... amiright, ladies!?)

The chest pains got worse through the weekend and I started ruling things out. It's not heartburn and I wasn't doing an exorbitant amount of activity. I wasn't wheezing and if I coughed it was dry, so I was pretty sure it wasn't a respiratory infection or issue. I started having trouble sleeping on Saturday night from the discomfort and all of Sunday I had a mix of dull, achy pain in the left side of my chest, accompanied by sharp pains down the center of my chest when I took deeper breaths. Breathing also became a bit more difficult, but I assumed it's because my little McBaby is growing and encroaching on my airspace.

Sunday night I woke up three times gasping for air, thinking that I wasn't breathing. I called my doctor's office on Monday and they told me to come in for a quick check up. I assumed they were just going to tell me that everything was fine and that I was typical-first-time-mom overreacting. Pregnancy is supposed to be uncomfortable right? Well, I get in the office and the doctor listens to my heart (among other things). Within a few seconds she looks at me and says "Did you know that you have a heart murmur?" I was all, "Uhh, nope." She was concerned (of course) but my blood pressure was excellent and McBaby's heartbeat was great, so she sent me off to the hospital for an EKG.

It turns out that my heart is beating at an "abnormal rhythm" and I'm being set up with a cardiologist in the next few days for more tests. That's all I know so far, but I can officially make the joke that this little girl is already giving me heart problems and she's not even close to being a teenager yet!

Okay, on to lighter topics, here's my weekly update!

How far along? 29 weeks
Total weight gain/loss: Somehow I lost 2lbs since last week. So, I'm back to -2lbs overall.
Maternity clothes? As evidenced by the photo, I'm now living in leggings, comfy sweaters and scarves. Bring on the chilly, holiday-appropriate weather!
Best moment this week: Mike and I watched McBaby bounce my belly around a few nights ago. It's the first time Mike has seen her movements, not just felt them!
Worst Symptom this Week: All of the above, haha. Obviously chest pains and a crazy heart are topping the list.
Buy anything for the nursery? Finally found a freaking lamp. It took me weeeeeeeeks. Turns out, I just had to look at the Dollar General in Clifton.
Miss Anything? Breathing without feeling like I just ran a marathon with an elephant on my chest.
Movement: She's active during the day and really calm at night. Best. Baby. Ever.
Baby is the size of a: Cucumber (length-wise, I think, I'm pretty sure she's fatter than a cucumber!)
Food cravings: Blech, food. I'm starting to lose my appetite again.
Anything making you queasy or sick: Nah.
How pregnant do you feel right now? With the added breathing stress, I feel exactly 234 months pregnant.
Predictions for Baby's attributes: When do kids start getting freckles? I'd love a freckle-faced little girl running around (can't imagine why!)
Middle Name Status: We have officially determined her first and middle name. I can't believe we did it with time to spare. We'll announce the whole thing after she's born though, gotta make sure it still works.
Belly Button in or out? Flattening out at the bottom, but starting to poke out at the top. It's a weird sensation, I'm glad most people will never see it.
Happy or Moody most of the time: Despite the crazy week, I've been in a great mood. Knowing that my sweet little baby is still doing well makes any discomfort I'm feeling worth it. I'd like to not be in pain, but I'd gladly be in pain as long as she's okay... #officialparentstatus
Looking forward to: Getting this heart situation figured out so Mama can get some much needed deep sleep. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright Kait McClanahan. Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top