Murphlanaroux Family Vacation 2013: Steamboat Springs, CO

Saturday, November 16, 2013

Well, since I've been told to take it easy, I'm finally going to write a post that isn't baby-related! Can you believe it?! I know, I'm a little surprised too. Sit back and relax, this post is FULL of photos.

Anyway, I've had lots of couch time to start going through months of unedited photos, starting with our annual Murphlanaroulx family vacation. This year's destination was Steamboat Springs, Colorado! Mike and I were there for a few days because of his work schedule, so most of my photos are of the nature all around our amazing 60+ acre compound rental. We hiked, took a ski lift up to the top of Thunderhead Mountain, explored the town and spent nights gathered around a campfire watching shooting stars.
It's funny to look back on the photos because I was only 15-16 weeks pregnant during the trip. My nausea was just on the verge of subsiding and I was still battling first trimester exhaustion. At the time, we didn't even know if McBaby was a boy or a girl! I also barely even had a belly, I was still in my chubby-pregnant stage that included nasty acne, so there aren't many photos of how turrible I looked. (Okay, I'm done talking baby!)

The view from our house was a mountainous terrain and a free-range cattle area. The cows were funny about crossing the street in straight, single-file lines, holding up anyone in their path.

View from the back patio

Beep, beep!

So, most of my photos from the house are of birds and Lady, Karagh's doggie, who was tormented by swift chipmunks. At one point, she chased a chipmunk into the fenced in area around a tree and then got stuck in there. It took 3 people to get her out and the chipmunk sat there laughing at her the whole time. It was HILARIOUS.

Isn't she just gorgeous?!?!

Laying in the mulch, getting it stuck all up in her fur


Stalking chippies

"Hey, where'd it go?!"

Waiting to pounce

We also had a plethora of birdies around the house, including hummingbirds! It was really fun to sit, drink coffee (water for me!) and watch the birds come and go while getting zoomed by hummies. They were tough to catch on camera, but after several tries, I finally got a few shots of them!

This was Megan's favorite bird - I forget what it was called now!

Hummer


Bluebirds (chubby lil' guys!)

Chickadee

Hummy drinking from our makeshift feeder

I forget what this birdie was called too... this is what happens when you post 3 months after the trip!

Lady Bluebird

Hummy drinking out of another makeshift feeder (disc golf frisbee haha)

The whole group of us went on a hike to see Fish Creek Falls. I didn't want to overexert myself/get dehydrated (I was required to drink at least a gallon of water per day at that point) so Mike and I only did part of the hike. We ate lunch at the foot of the falls on some rocks, dipping our feet in the cool water and drinking in the views. Megan, Scott, Dad, Karagh and Lady hiked a bit further up a steep mountain to get another view of the falls, while Mike and I ran into a little chipmunk friend and hung out. 



Bahaha - dork.

Lades almost dragged Dad into the creek with her


Hey, buddy!

The whole crew! (Minus Dad, who was taking the photo with his cell phone)

We also went to the top of Thunderhead Mountain, which is aptly named because our return trip to the bottom of the mountain was by bus after they closed down the lift for an incoming thunderstorm. Lady was super brave and hopped right onto the swinging chariot that swept us to the top of the mountain. I was feeling the impact of the altitude change, so Karagh, Mike and I did the leisurely nature walk trail, while Dad, Megan, Scott and Lady went on a longer, tougher trail. The views of Steamboat were absolutely beautiful! We didn't see any wildlife on the nature trail (boo) but it was fun to explore and breath in the fresh mountain air!

Such a good doggie!

View out the back of the lift as we ascended

Top of the lift, looking at the ski runs of Thunderhead

Karagh and the view!

Lodge at the top of Thunderhead


Please forgive how absolutely dysfunctional we look. We are a hot mess. 


Survival shelter!

Mike meets the wilderness

Of course, at the bottom of Thunderhead in the ski area of Steamboat (very fancy area!) we found some fun cutouts and these two goons couldn't resist!




One day Mike and I skipped out on a hike and decided to drive out to Steamboat Lake State Park, which turned out to be a bit crappy and they expected us to pay like $10 to get in. Screw that! So we drove around on some dirt roads to see Hahn's Peak.





On our way back into Steamboat we stopped to walk and explore the Yampa River Core Trail, which is a multi-use trail that follows the Yampa River (obviously). It was neat and it gave Mike some ideas for a RiverWalk that he wants to put in Clifton. We strolled along the trail and then dipped our feet in the water while sitting on some rocks (can you tell I was pregnant? I dipped my sore, aching feet in every cold water source I could find!)


(I asked Mike to take a picture of me and my pregnant belly. Apparently, my belly is my face.)

View of a bridge on the Yampa River trail, taken from my prime mid-river rock spot.

As with every Murphlanaroulx summer vacation, we celebrated Mike and Karagh's birthdays. This year, Mike turned 26 (old man) and Karagh was turning 24, so they used the 25 candle on their ice cream cake. Lady was not impressed by the singing. 


That pretty much sums up the trip! We had a lot of fun together, ate a TON of delicious meals and soaked up the sun. We took several naps while watching golf and enjoyed playing pool in the house game room. Of course, I couldn't partake in the best part of Murphlanaroux family vacation - the drinking of many (many, many) local brews - but I survived. It's weird to think that next year we'll have an extra attendee on vacation - McBaby! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright Kait McClanahan. Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top