Blair's Big Girl Room

Monday, January 23, 2017

The toddler bed was getting too small for our growing girl - she started waking up in the middle of the night crying because she'd get stuck in an uncomfortable position and wind up in our bed. She'd point to it and say "too small, I'm too big for that!" so we decided to make her a Big Girl room for her birthday. 

My mom and I sent Mike off for the day with Blair so we could reconfigure the toddler bed into a full bed, rearrange the room, hang twinkle lights, add new curtains, and die of exhaustion set up for the big reveal. 


I had a pretty clear vision in my head for how I wanted the room to look and feel, and my expectations were blown away. We rent our home, so we can't really change some of the more permanent things, like paint, lighting, and carpet, but we did a damn good job accomplishing my idea! I made the two framed prints (and took the black-and-white photos) and the quilt has a fun story.



When we were in Gatlinburg back in October 2014, Mike's mom took us to a little store called Lidl Dolly's in Pigeon Forge. When Danielle was a little girl, Tonya had bought her a sweet frilly dress from the store, so now that Danielle and I both had little girls of our own, she wanted to buy them each a dress too! While we were there, Lidl Dolly's was having a quilt sale and I just fell in love with this one. Tonya insisted on buying it for her little grand-baby, knowing that one day she would use it in her big girl room. I am so excited that she finally gets to use it!
  



"Home Sweet Home to Me"
for our little Tennessee girl!



I absolutely adore the strands of twinkle lights we fashioned across the ceiling. They give off such a warm, soft glow and add the perfect whimsical touch to the room. She loves "turning on her stars," which is easy for her to do, since we used a foot-pedal extension cord. I love that she has the independence to turn on the lights whenever she wants to, without being afraid she's going to rip them out of the wall or electrocute herself!

  





  
Still the greatest diaper pail in all the land



When Mike and Blair arrived home from keeping themselves busy, I hid in the room to capture her reaction. My mom told her that Mama, Daddy, and Mimi had a birthday surprise for her in her room, and she burst in. At first she was a little confused, but then she ran to me with a "Mama!" and a hug. She was thrilled to see the "B" on the wall, and the photos of her drinking hot chocolate and "finding seashells at the beach." She even pointed to the Tennessee print and yelled "It's Tennessee!" Raising her right!


  


She immediately climbed up onto the bed and started jumping. The pillows and star lights elicited squeals of delight, which made Mom and I feel so good after spending so much time making everything just right. She adores her new room and asks us all the time to come lay in bed with her. And she's sleeping like a rock! Hallelujah!









"Look mama! It's a big hairbow!"




I can't believe my baby is old enough to transition to a full bed - it feels like just yesterday I had to move the mattress down because she was trying to crawl out of the crib. Pro-tip: buy the conversion kit at the same time you buy the crib, otherwise it will be discontinued three years later and you can't do this comparison. Where did my bald little baby go?!




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright Kait McClanahan. Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top