Holy *#&%, We're Moving to Tennessee!

Tuesday, June 5, 2012
There are many places in this world that I never imagined I would ever visit, much less move to.  One of those places is rural south-central Tennessee. I'm an East Coast girl, born in the beautiful Trenton, New Jersey (haha) and raised in the suburbs of Philadelphia, PA... I crave the sweet comfort of living near a large city that can boast a variety of (mostly frustrating) sports teams, aggressive driving, and equally aggressive accents. Even when I moved to Louisville, Kentucky for undergrad I required proximity to tall buildings, expressways, and a population density of over 100K. Promptly after graduation, I moved to the nation's capital to pursue a Master's degree in International Relations and walked to the White House during my free time (I mean... study breaks).

Guess what? I'm about to experience some culture shock.

We have accepted a job offer for Mike to be the City Manager of Clifton, TN. Fantastic, right?!

Two things:
    1. Being a City Manager is what Mike has dreamed about and worked towards since he was fifteen years old. He worked in various local government jobs and earned his MPA with the explicit goal of managing a city someday. Yesterday at 8PM, Mike got called up to the big leagues - Dream. Come. True.

    2. Clifton is a town in Wayne County, Tennessee, about two hours south of Nashville. It has a population of about 2,800 people (smaller than my undergraduate university) and the WalMart is 18 miles from downtown.

I should start developing my Hungarian accent now, because my life just turned into Green Acres.


As much as I've teased Mike about how tiny this town seems, I'm actually really excited to have another adventure. When we moved to DC we didn't know a soul either, we just sort of rolled up with our bags packed and really made something of ourselves. I can't wait to see what Clifton holds for us... it seems like a really neat place -- it's right on the picturesque Tennessee river and, according to Mike, the people have all the Southern hospitality in the world. Also, the standard of living is so much cheaper down there, we will actually be able to buy a house (ahhh all of my Pinterest pins can finally materialize!) and start having babies. Mike also promised that I could get a puppy... 

I'm thinking about naming it Arnold.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright Kait McClanahan. Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top