Blair's Nursery

Wednesday, April 2, 2014
Now that Blair is sleeping in her nursery every night, it's probably time that I shared pictures of her room! As soon as we found out we were pregnant my Pinterest board was blowing up with ideas. I absolutely LOVE how it turned out and I really enjoyed setting everything up for her. I think what I like most about the room is that it's not overtly a "baby" room.  It's definitely a space that will grow with her!

DaVinci Jayden DresserPottery Barn Kids Anywhere Chair
Glass Apothecary Jars - Hobby Lobby

We decided to put her in what was our guest room, since it is right across the hall from our room. We moved the guest room into my office and I moved my office stuff into the corner of our master.

When you first walk through the door, her dresser is on the left. I stretched color-coordinating fabrics on large canvases to decorate the enormous wall space. Her ceilings are like, 10 feet high so I had a lot of space to fill! I cannot wait for her to sit and read books in her little purple chair!

The room has a large window and I definitely needed curtains to help block the morning sun. I searched high and low for curtains that I could not only recycle if/when we ever have a boy, but also that didn't cost a billion dollars. I couldn't find anything that I liked, so I got crafty and decided to buy two sheer white panels off Amazon ($10 combined). The gray panels are actually two twin sheets that I got at WalMart for $4 each! I just snipped the seams at the end and used liquid stitch to re-seal the hem so I could slide the curtain rod right through. Voila! Color-coordinating curtains on the cheap.  

Land of Nod Floor BinsMoroccan-inspired Area Rug, Snugabunny Bouncer
When we found out that McBaby was a girl, one of my first thoughts was "her closet is going to be so full of clothes!" Well, I was right, and it's quite a feat too because the closets in our house are out-of-control enormous. This picture was taken when I was about 35 weeks pregnant and has since been stuffed with even more clothes! I ordered a total of 140 hangers from Babies 'R Us (because of course, all the hangers HAVE TO MATCH) and I only have 3 sets of 10 that aren't in use. Yeah. That's not counting the 6 drawers of clothes between the dresser and the changing table. I haven't bought a SINGLE outfit since Blair was born. Thank you, everyone!! 

(I have since added two more purple bins to the shelf)
IKEA KALLAX Shelf
I've always loved the look of a baby's name over their crib, but I struggled to find just the right letters. Mike and I found these at Hobby Lobby for super cheap. They're cardboard, so I painted them purple and painted the shadow parts gray. I have since repainted the purple with white, but honestly, I wish I hadn't. The purple looks much better and eventually I'll repaint them.

I LOVE her crib. It's exactly what I imagined when I first began thinking about the nursery.  Bonus: it will convert to a toddler bed and then a full-size bed with rails when she's older. Honestly though, it will probably stay a crib forever, since we plan on having more than one kiddo. By the time we're done having children, it will be so torn up with teeth marks and tiny fingernail scratches that our last kid will be very disappointed to inherit it.

I went really simple with the crib bedding because these days, pretty much anything but a flat sheet is considered unsafe. Those adorable $50 crib bumpers that make the crib look super cute are a major suffocation risk and, as the daughter of a former daycare quality assurance manager, we don't mess around with safety hazards. Instead, I got an inexpensive quilt and crib sheet set at Target and then added some Circo brand flat sheets - we have purple with elephants, gray with elephants, gray dots and plain purple. If she poops/pees/spits up through all of them before I can do the laundry, I will first offer her up for adoption and then use the backup yellow monkey sheet that came with the quilt set. 

DaVinci Jayden Crib, Chevron Quilt & Crib Skirt,
Letters - Hobby Lobby, Boppy Pillow, Boppy Pillow cover - Etsy
I never thought I wanted a changing table (she's not going to need it when she's potty trained right? RIGHT?!) but I'm really glad we got one. It's Blair's absolute favorite place in the whole room and it gave us a ton of extra storage space for ALL THE CLOTHES she has. At first I thought I'd just put all of her diapers, lotions and wipes in the top drawer, but at the last minute I decided to pull the trigger on this clear diaper organizer. Best money I ever spent - it's so nice to have everything right there, plus it just hangs on the side of the table so I can remove it eventually. 

Motherhood leads to excitement about things you never though you'd care about. Case and point - our little gray diaper pail (that can fit like, 50 dirty diapers!). I'm obsessed, as you can tell, with maintaining a color scheme throughout the room and the last thing I wanted was a diaper pail that was not only stinking up the place, but making it look sloppy. The Ubbi came highly recommended for odor control and it comes in a million colors. Bingo! I waited for a few months debating whether or not the price tag was worth it and then snagged it for half off during a Bloomingdale's sale. Winner, winner!
DaVinci Jayden Changing Table, Ubbi Diaper Pail,
Prince Lionheart Diaper Organizer, Dots Changing Pad cover - Etsy
 In keeping with my gray-things obsession, I really wanted a glider that was not only comfortable (and able to recline!), but it had to fit in with the rest of the room and be durable enough to last through the rest of our kids. My mom was generous enough to buy us this one for us, after months of me searching for the right one at a reasonable price. It is so.comfortable and we snuggle in it all the time!

Dutailier Glider, B Pillow Cover - Etsy
I'm all about the details and I'm branching out into playing with patterns and textures, so I really jumped into decorating head on. I created 3 of the 4 artwork prints using my mad (haha) Photoshop skills and I painted the frames. Looking back, I should have painted all the frames white, but that's okay. I'll repaint them eventually ;) 

The "B is for Blair" print was a freebie from this blog and, since we live in the South, her monogram B was a no-brainer. The "I love you to the moon and back" print is inspired by the amazing children's book (which B and I will read someday!) and the "Let her sleep..." one is a quote from Napoleon Bonaparte, who has always fascinated Mike. He was speaking about China when he used the phrase, and he is often misquoted as saying "for one day she will move mountains," but the actual quote is the one I used. Historical integrity for the win!

 

 

I bought the nightstand separately from the other furniture and I don't mind that it's white. It brightens up the corner and most importantly it was on sale at WalMart! I needed something to hold my breast pump and the lamp, but we wound up having problems breastfeeding and when I pumped I was usually in the living room anyway haha. It's now used for holding up the lamp, Biscuit and the humidifier when B needs it. I wanted some more surfaces in the room so I could display some of the gifts we received, including some of Blair's many books. (Julia - Ann of Green Gables was the first book up there!) I found these shelves and they were the perfect touch.

Nightstand, Corner Shelves, Lamp - Dollar General (LOL)
I'm absolutely in love with the nursery and I'm so happy that Blair has a place of her own to sleep and play. I'm cherishing all of her moments as a tiny snuggle bug, but I also can't wait to see the floor littered with toys as she flits from basket to basket learning new things and using her imagination.  

Print Frames

Okay, here are a few more detail shots for you!

Seriously, she owns ALL.THE.CLOTHES.
A lady must have storage for all of her favorite things - bows and pacis, of course!
Biscuit the Dog and Storybook collection given to Blair by her Poppie (my dad)
Bottom shelf behind the glider
Middle shelf behind the glider (love these little books and the doggie named Meatloaf haha)

Top shelf behind the glider. We found the wooden elephant at a yardsale and I painted it purple!)
My beloved Ubbi pail. The classiest container for poopy diapers ;) 
My DIY fabric canvasses. My mom helped me pick out the fabric and it was my first nursery-related project!
Snugabunny Bouncer! Blair loves the pink birdie, funny that I picked that one for the picture.
Her sweet name!
One of her many drawers of clothing haha

The American Girl doll that my dad gave her at the baby shower - he designed it to look like me :) 
Her super soft rug
Toy bin!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright Kait McClanahan. Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top