Seventeen Weeks

Sunday, August 18, 2013

Well, here we are at almost week 18 and I haven't updated this blog for a month. I'm a mess. Time is just FLYING by, I can't believe how long it's been! I stopped taking bump pictures every week because there was literally no change between 6 weeks and 16 weeks. I literally didn't start having a discernible baby bump until 17 weeks - and now strangers are congratulating me left and right. It feels so good to not feel like a fat blob and know that people actually see that I'm pregnant.

I had a terrible struggle with acne for a few weeks and it was horrifying. I have never had issues with acne in my life and I was a wreck - I hated my face and the way I looked, so there are no pictures of me at all from that time period. Luckily, with the arrival of my second trimester, the yucky face zits are gone and I feel like I have that "glow" everyone talks about.

We had another ultrasound at 14 weeks to check on my ovarian cyst and I'm happy to report that the cyst disappeared on its own and my doctor was very happy. She was beginning to think it was a tubular cyst (to which Mike said, "Awesome dude, totally tubular"), which would have been no bueno and may have popped as baby got bigger and caused all kinds of problems. Thankfully, we're in the clear!

The ultrasound revealed our little McBaby had grown quite a bit since the 8 week check up, but also showed that I was having Braxton Hicks contractions, causing the baby to be a little squished by the sides of my uterus. The doctor said it's not a big deal right now, but told me to start drinking at least one gallon of water per day to keep the contractions away. ONE GALLON. It took a few days for me to wrap my head (and my stomach) around how it feels to drink a gallon of water per day - that's 128 ounces, if you're counting - but it's become part of daily life now.

We got to see McBaby kicking me from his/her hilarious upside-down position - complete with his/her little arm up above its head. So cute! I can't wait to go back this week for our elective ultrasound to find out if it's a boy or a girl - we can hardly contain our excitement (and anxiety) about it!


Back of (alien) McBaby's head and you can see his/her spine and ribs forming!


McBaby all smooshed up because of the contractions, haha. He/she was hanging out vertically, little legs kicking the top of my uterus as we watched. Check out that spine!

I bought a fetal doppler to use at home, since I won't feel the baby's movements for a while and I'm a little neurotic. I use it about once every day or so and it's so amazing to hear that little whooshing heartbeat - I don't think I'll ever get over how weird it feels to know something is living inside me!

Okay, that's what happened the last several weeks. Here's the update for this week!

How far along? Seventeen weeks. Helloooo, second trimester :)

Total weight gain/loss: -17.5lbs total. I had one week where I gained 2 pounds and then lost 3 pounds the following week. Sigh.
Maternity clothes? I've bought a few more maternity shirts, but I still fit very comfortably in almost all of my pre-pregnancy pants - a major win for my wallet!
Sleep: I wake up a lot more often now to use the bathroom (I can't imagine why, haha)
Best moment this week: Catching McBaby is a good position to hear the heartbeat for a solid 45 seconds before he/she moved.
Worst Symptom this Week: LOWER BACK PAIN... like, I might just crack in half.
Buy anything for the nursery? Mom and Dad generously bought McBaby's crib, dresser and changer... Mike and I have assembled the crib and the changer so far and we may tackle the dresser today if we can get our butts off the couch!
Miss Anything? After spending a long weekend in CO with the family (more to come on that trip!) I really miss beer. Especially now that Sam Adams Oktoberfest is on shelves everywhere.
Movement: Sometimes I think I've felt something and then it just turns out to be gas bubbles in my belly. Not nearly as cute.
Baby is the size of a: Vidalia Onion. So big!
Food cravings: Cheese, popcorn and pasta - particularly pasta filled with cheese (raviolis, tortellinis) or macaroni and cheese.
Anything making you queasy or sick: I can't really do beef or chicken (almost barfed up a steak last night) but I have been successful with sausage and bacon (thank you, Baby!). Also, I'm not interested at all in baked goods for some reason.
Have you started to show yet: YES, finally!! I finally have that bump I've been waiting for :)
Gender prediction: I still really think it's a boy.
Bump Nickname: There has been a lot of "Hi, Baby!" going on, but no real nicknames
Belly Button in or out? Still in, no signs of change
Happy or Moody most of the time: So happy, with the occasional tear-up at a commercial
Looking forward to: Elective ultrasound on Friday to determine if baby is a BOY or a GIRL!!

Any predictions from the peanut gallery on the sex?

I CAN'T. FREAKING. WAIT.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright Kait McClanahan. Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top